If you want to build smart transportation, refer to MAS for advice. After five years of using KLOUDIP fleet management solutions, the company started integrating IoT and telematics into all areas of their business, starting with their employee transport monitoring.
One of their latest achievements is a smart employee transportation system based on the SHUTTLE app.
Some facts about MAS Group:
- 1000+ vehicles connected to the fleet management platform
- 40+ manufacturing plants and offices
- 100,000 employees moving between the facilities
- Award winners for “Trailblazers of KLOUDSKY platform & KLOUDIP solutions” at Telematics Colombo 2019
- Regained their trust in fleet management efficiency after working with KLOUDIP
Room for improvement
MAS Group uses hired vehicle fleets to transport employees home to work and back. Similar to the public transportation system:
- The routes are mostly fixed.
- There are schedules with estimated arrival times.
- Sometimes transport arrives early or late based on traffic or breakdowns.
Unlike public transportation, if an employee gets late, the bus driver has to wait at a pick-up point, which may ruin the schedule for other employees. As a result, even passengers have to wait for a bus under the burning sun. Can you foresee it? No. Can you save employees’ time? Definitely.
SHUTTLE app for employee transport monitoring
KLOUDIP developed a SHUTTLE mobile app for MAS employees, where they get real-time updates on transport arrival times and movements. To put it simply, if a bus is late, employees will receive notifications on their smartphones and will wait at home rather than at a stop.
How does it work?
- KLOUDIP connected MAS’s transport to GPS. The vehicles send location data to the SHUTTLE app and the employees so that they see where their transport is.
- KLOUDIP embeds the information about routes, schedules, and transport in QR codes.
- MAS places the QR codes on common area notice boards and publishes them on the company’s internal web resources.
- Company staff scan the QRs with their smartphones and see routes, schedules, and what’s happening with their transport in general (movements, arrival times, delays, events on the way, etc.).
- After each ride, an employee can leave feedback and attach a photo if something was wrong. Managers use their comments to enhance the transportation system.
SHUTTLE implementation results
Employees’ comfort. SHUTTLE app shows pick-up and drop-off times for each passenger based on the schedule and real-time GPS location of their transport. As the arrival time is updated online, employees appear at the stop to the minute and no longer wait under a burning sun.
No delays in production. Managers, workers, and coordinators may appear on the same bus. That’s why delays in transportation may result in production delays in the whole unit. SHUTTLE eliminated the situations where a vehicle full of MAS’s staff waited for one person, which formerly led to production delays.
No surprises for employees. Employees are informed of any events with their transport in advance. For example, if the routes were combined due to a breakdown, SHUTTLE shows employees the new vehicle to pick them up and updated arrival times.
Employees are becoming tech-savvy. New technologies are always hard to adapt, especially for people who got used to routes and schedules on paper. But as more and more people in MAS were using the app regularly, their colleagues were looking up to them and making the first steps toward SHUTTLE. As we think, this created the ground for adopting advanced technologies MAS may want to implement in the future.
Instant analysis. During the first months, the staff left a thousand comments and suggestions. Thanks to their feedback, transport managers can deal with minor issues at once, before they become a real issue for the whole transportation system.
Striving for comfy employee transport, MAS also achieved enhanced productivity and stimulated the adoption of new technologies beyond passenger transportation. And it was simpler and cheaper than you think. Contact us to learn how much you can save with IoT and telematics embedded in your business.